Home - FAQ & Knowledge Base

FAQ & Knowledge Base

Home - FAQ & Knowledge Base - Technical Information - How to safely remove a magnet

How to safely remove a magnet

Powerful Neodymium magnets need to be handled CAREFULLY to avoid damage or injury. Other magnetic materials are less challenging to handle, reposition or remove. The safest way to remove or relocate a magnet is to slowly SLIDE the magnet onto a nearby non-ferrous surface. Large magnets of all kinds need to be levered off or prised away from a ferrous material and should only be done by experienced handlers.

Important things to remember when handling magnets:

1. Never allow children to access strong magnets. Children should be supervised at all times when magnets of any type are present. Small magnets pose an extremely dangerous choking hazard and can also cause internal injuries.

2. Always wear PPE when handling larger magnets. Gloves and Safety Goggles are highly recommended

3. Do not allow magnets to sit unrestrained or be stored on a bench where sharp metal or other ferrous materials will attract them. Hard collisions between magnets or other surfaces can cause them to splinter or break in half. This type of collision can cause severe skin injury or inflict permanent eyesight damage.
Store magnets safely. Most magnets are very brittle and should be stored in a container or wrapped separately in a material that will cushion the magnet from accidental impact.

4. Exposure to heat, corrosion and other strong magnetic fields will lower the magnetic intensity of most magnets. In some cases, the damage can be permanent.

5. Large magnets of any kind have the potential to cause serious injury to users if not handled carefully or correctly. Neodymium magnets are especially dangerous if appropriate care and precautions are not taken. Preventing personal injury should be paramount to anyone who uses magnets, but there are other problems associated with strong magnetic fields that also need to be considered. Strong magnetic fields can interfere with or permanently damage Pacemakers, Smartphones, Electronics, Credit Cards and any Data Storage devices. Magnets should not be placed in close proximity to electronic devices or magnetic storage items.